Skip to main content

Staying aware ...





It is the end of Eating Disorder Awareness Week 2021. Often many posts shared on this week are filled with transformation pictures, showing sufferers in their severely underweight figures next to a more recent image in their newly-found ‘healthy’ body. The reality is there is so much more to raising awareness than just wanting to validate your own illness through photos to prove you were the 'sickest' (I'm aware it sounds strange that people with an eating disorder might celebrate being the most unwell). When people talk of ‘awareness,’ this should mean a time to remind and educate others about eating disorders and the full scope of them.


I have often found that ‘awareness weeks’ that occur all throughout the year casting light on a whole variety of issues and illnesses occurring in the world, can become albeit monotonous. Someone recently told me, ‘every week seems to be awareness week.’ 


I guess they are correct in a sense, however they exist for a reason. They exist because despite extensive research, news articles and personal stories shared, it still has not been enough to create a solid acceptance and compassion that plights still exist out there.


In my personal journey  I have been trying to spread awareness for a while now. It has been amazing hearing how many of you out there either suffer themselves from an eating disorder, or know people that do. Yet that still doesn’t mean I can’t do more. 


I have become more confident in being honest about my current situation and past, however I still have a sense of wariness and even embarrassment, when it comes to talking to certain people about my life. Yes, my eating disorder doesn’t encompass who I am as a person, but it has unfortunately shaped where I am in my life right now. 


I am a great believer in the saying ‘everything happens for a reason.’ 


That belief sometimes sounds rather airy-fairy or ‘fluffy’ as some say, but so far in my life, although there have been massive dips, there has always been an up on the other side. Whenever I have felt as if life just seems to be a never-ending black hole and too hard to manage, I have managed to pull myself out the other side. If I look back over my life, on paper it doesn’t sound great! However, through any obstacle I have been faced with, I have learnt from it, and I have felt better equipped to carry on powering through. Without these experiences, my life might have been slightly easier, but I wouldn’t be who I am today. 


By no means am I happy that I have had my struggles over the years, but I have the belief that hopefully in the future I will be able to tell myself what I have overcome, and rather than be embarrassed or shameful about it, I can turn those feelings around, and be proud. 


I hope that in the future, there won't need to be such an emphasis on 'awareness weeks.' Despite the benefits, it is sad that we have to dedicate entire weeks to telling others about often 'invisible' illnesses. For now awareness weeks are still vitally important. I hope that with every message shared, that sufferers of eating disorders, or any mental illness will feel less ashamed and be more at ease in the company of others with the reality of their situation.  














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's going to be ok ....

  Welcome to my journey. My name's Lizzie and I'm 25. A London girl, with a passion for travel, fashion, culture and writing.  Unfortunately , all of these interests have been hijacked by an eating disorder. It has taken a lot from me, and prevented me from following my dreams. However, I am on the difficult path of navigating it. It is a long process, and not always easy, but this is a space for me to be honest, share my feelings,  and work towards playing a part in removing the stigma around mental illness.  A lot has happened over these past 10 years. I have had ups and downs. I have succeeded and failed in many ways.  Most definitely my biggest ‘up’ has been getting engaged to the most wonderful boy, (anonymous for now!)  who I am so grateful for every day.  I never thought I would meet that ‘perfect' boy. I was positive I was destined to be alone forever.  I comforted myself in the notion that I didn’t need a husband. My husband could be anorexia. I felt married to it.

Calories on menus : helpful or harmful?

Calorie counting is a hard topic. It became part of my life further into my eating disorder once being in hospital. Unfortunately, that’s a massive negative impact of being on an eating disorder unit, where the standard gossip is which snack choice has the lowest calories. It soon became ingrained in me and I learnt the exact numbers of every food item and which were the dreaded most ‘calorific options.’  Numbers have played an enormous role in my anorexia. Whether it’s the nutritional content of food, kilos or BMI. (BMI accuracy is a whole another conversation to be had!)  I am aware that in order to move away from my harmful behaviours, ‘un-learning’ numbers is something that has to be done.  When I walk into restaurants, I already scan in my mind which meals are safer. It’s pretty upsetting because I guess the whole fun of eating out in most peoples’ mind’s is choosing a delicious meal they might not be able to replicate at home.  When I heard about the new government bill coming in

Slowly but surely ...

I know I’ve been a bit M.I.A recently. It wasn’t for a particular reason, just I guess ‘life’ got in the way. My world has been busy, as has of course, my mind.  I sometimes get angry at my mind. It’s not fair that mine seems to work in different ways to others. I often get annoyed at the universe for landing me, with what often seems to be an unmanageable load. Since as humans we aren’t aware exactly of what goes on in other peoples brains, it frustrates me that my head just doesn’t seem to cooperate with the world around me.  I have often described it as being on an ulterior planet. Yes, of course I’m on planet Earth. Guess it would be quite cool to be writing from Jupiter?! I feel as if my brain runs a million miles an hour, which is probably how this post reads. I have so much whirling through that I regrettably make stupid decisions. I guess you could call one of those ‘decisions’ could be that I concluded that starving myself is the best way forward.  I’ve been trying my utmost h