Skip to main content

An update from Mrs N …



 



Hello from the new Mrs N!! Can’t quite believe it’s all over and we are finally husband and wife! 


It’s often second nature for new couples to say they’re on on cloud nine. Yes, cloud nine could exist, but nothing is smooth sailing. I don’t believe anyone that says it is. For me, it really has been amazing and I’m loving my ‘new’ life as a wife, but I guess beneath these fluffy clouds seemingly made of candy floss will always lie some honest feelings. In truth, my eating disorder kicked in hard straight after the wedding. I’ve never lived away from home (apart from my gap year which didn’t end too well), and to suddenly be waking up in a different environment was hard. 


Yes, I have my amazing husband and he’s been incredible throughout, but for someone who’s pretty bad with change, it hasn’t been so easy. For the first month, I barely walked inside the kitchen. I just couldn’t get used to it. I was just about ok grabbing some water, and running out again. For some bizarre reason, I had this ‘thing’ about my new kitchen. It sounds quite weird I know, and my kitchen externally is gorgeous and all brand new. However , I had this mental block in my mind which prevented me from cooking or preparing anything. This then meant that my eating disorder slightly spiralled. 


I’ve been so happy being married and finally being able to live the life S and I have been waiting so patiently for. Yet, my anorexia has been strong. It’s been quite a battle in my head and I have to keep reminding myself that I refuse to ever be in a position to allow my eating disorder to interrupt my marriage. I was fortunate that a member of staff at my treatment centre where I still receive help, came over to my new home and basically forced me to learn how to turn the oven on, and even get used to making coffee! It sounds pathetic, but I guess that was the situation, and was the help I needed. 


Fast forward nearly six months, and I’ve become quite the Jewish housewife. I’ve (somehow) managed to have lots of family and friends round for meals and tea parties- something which I’ve always dreamt of, yet never believed I would be able to. I really had no idea I could cook!! I pictured giving everyone food poisoning (apologies if I have and you never came forward). I must even say I’m proud of myself, given that only a short while ago, I had a fear of the kitchen and imagined only eating crackers and Coke Zero in my new home. Well how wrong I was. 


It’s taken time, but with using the right communication skills, I have managed to successfully overcome many a  hurdle. Life is never perfect, yet I know I am incredibly lucky. I’m fortunate to have had all the support around me and always will continue to appreciate it. Marriage is all about learning and building on what you have, and however well you think you know each other, more often than not, S and I both learn new things every day. I never thought marriage would solve everything, but I did know it would eventually give me a reason to continue to fight my eating disorder. It’s my biggest motivation and gives me every reason to not lose hope. 


Six months down, and forever to go. 💓







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's going to be ok ....

  Welcome to my journey. My name's Lizzie and I'm 25. A London girl, with a passion for travel, fashion, culture and writing.  Unfortunately , all of these interests have been hijacked by an eating disorder. It has taken a lot from me, and prevented me from following my dreams. However, I am on the difficult path of navigating it. It is a long process, and not always easy, but this is a space for me to be honest, share my feelings,  and work towards playing a part in removing the stigma around mental illness.  A lot has happened over these past 10 years. I have had ups and downs. I have succeeded and failed in many ways.  Most definitely my biggest ‘up’ has been getting engaged to the most wonderful boy, (anonymous for now!)  who I am so grateful for every day.  I never thought I would meet that ‘perfect' boy. I was positive I was destined to be alone forever.  I comforted myself in the notion that I didn’t need a husband. My husband could be anorexia. I felt married to it.

Calories on menus : helpful or harmful?

Calorie counting is a hard topic. It became part of my life further into my eating disorder once being in hospital. Unfortunately, that’s a massive negative impact of being on an eating disorder unit, where the standard gossip is which snack choice has the lowest calories. It soon became ingrained in me and I learnt the exact numbers of every food item and which were the dreaded most ‘calorific options.’  Numbers have played an enormous role in my anorexia. Whether it’s the nutritional content of food, kilos or BMI. (BMI accuracy is a whole another conversation to be had!)  I am aware that in order to move away from my harmful behaviours, ‘un-learning’ numbers is something that has to be done.  When I walk into restaurants, I already scan in my mind which meals are safer. It’s pretty upsetting because I guess the whole fun of eating out in most peoples’ mind’s is choosing a delicious meal they might not be able to replicate at home.  When I heard about the new government bill coming in

Slowly but surely ...

I know I’ve been a bit M.I.A recently. It wasn’t for a particular reason, just I guess ‘life’ got in the way. My world has been busy, as has of course, my mind.  I sometimes get angry at my mind. It’s not fair that mine seems to work in different ways to others. I often get annoyed at the universe for landing me, with what often seems to be an unmanageable load. Since as humans we aren’t aware exactly of what goes on in other peoples brains, it frustrates me that my head just doesn’t seem to cooperate with the world around me.  I have often described it as being on an ulterior planet. Yes, of course I’m on planet Earth. Guess it would be quite cool to be writing from Jupiter?! I feel as if my brain runs a million miles an hour, which is probably how this post reads. I have so much whirling through that I regrettably make stupid decisions. I guess you could call one of those ‘decisions’ could be that I concluded that starving myself is the best way forward.  I’ve been trying my utmost h